Workshop 1 – 2018

Option to adjust supplies

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly Eddington 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jacque A

Hi Kelly,

First off, I’m really pumped to get started with this class! I’ve found that watercolour is a difficult medium to control, so I can’t wait to discover some new techniques to enhance my paintings.

However, I’m trying to reduce the amount of new supplies that I’ll need to purchase. I was wondering if I’d be able to use gouache paints for these lessons. Watercolour and gouache are really similar mediums, and I already have a good set that closely matches the colours suggested by you in the supply list. Thoughts?

I don’t see why not, Jacque! Thanks very much for your interest. :)

Robin

I admit I choked when I first saw the supply list; so, with the exception of splurging on the paper and masking fluid my supplies are basically student child quality. I realise my results would be better given a better range and quality of colour but this way I am getting a feel for the paint before I take out a second mortgage to pay for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Cotman-Colour-Sketchers/dp/B00004THXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521307944&sr=8-1&keywords=winsor+and+newton+watercolor

This is a small but good set of watercolors (most of the ones I asked for) from Winsor & Newton’s Cotman range, which is a nice student grade of watercolors. It’s only $13. A beginner I know tried them out and liked them very much. He bought a single tube of purple to augment what was offered in the set.

I remember being in art school and being amazed at the price of art supplies. You have my sympathies!

Robin

Thanks, I will definitely look this up. Having a great time incidentally.

Glad to hear! Much respect to anyone here who is trying something new. <3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.