Workshop 1 – 2018

WEEK 1 QUESTIONS!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly Eddington 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Cheri

Kelly, you’re art is truly amazing! I’ve always loved the look of watercolor… you make it look so easy too! I also found you on YouTube and was thrilled to participate in this workshop.
    I’m wondering tho if I should be focusing on my drawing skills first… pretty sure that’s the foundation of a good painting.
    Do you have any suggestions of courses or books? I do have the drawing from the right side of the brain book, and drawing what you see, but haven’t dove into them yet… just getting back into exploring art since I’m semi retired!
    Thanks, Cheri

Terry Carter

After lots of changes to my first try I thought I’d do another. Can’t believe I did my drawing and then proceeded to paint the sky before I used the masking fluid! So when the painting was done, I tried using a white paint marker in the sky area but it just didn’t work so I used a pink one. It looked kind of bare so I’m going to try adding more flowers with a darker pink watercolor paint. Do you think that will work? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Attachments:

Hey Cheri, thanks for finding my videos! I think you’re absolutely right about learning to draw first. When I was in college, they wouldn’t let us take watercolor classes until our junior year (after a LOT of drawing). Unfortunately with an online workshop like this, all I know is that the participants are new to watercolor. Maybe they have drawing skills and maybe they don’t. All I have is an hour to present four projects, and I can’t backtrack and teach them how to draw on top of that. Hence the templates etc for people who still want to try it even if their drawing skills or kind of shaky.

As far as drawing books go, I love Figure Drawing For All Its Worth by Andrew Loomis and Drawing the Head and Hands is great, too. Both are for drawing people. My drawing courses in college never really had texts that we went by–just projects developed by our professors, so I can’t really point you towards anything. And I don’t really buy books like that for myself because I already know how to draw, you know? I think it’s worth your time to look at the ones you have first and see what you can get out of them. :)

Hi Terry, I think that will work! In watercolor you can always go darker, but it’s a problem if you try to go lighter. Since you’re kind of mixing in other supplies, you could try some other kind of opaque white if you have it (acrylic paint, gouache, or something like that). But really if you want to do a true watercolor, the white parts in your painting have to be the paper showing through. And so those white parts have to be the your first concern since they’re the easiest to lose. :)

Terry Carter

Thank you, Kelly!

Terri Davis

Hi Kelly, I am wondering how to add more definition to my pink flowers. They look too globbed up to me and i painted over the friskit. Is it too late to lighten it in spots? Thank you.

Gretel

Hello Kelly,
    Just curious:
    Do you use a hair dryer to dry your paintings or you rather air dry?
    Do you prefer to buy individual paint colors or do your own color mixing?
    Enjoyed your tutorial very much!
    Kindest Regards,
    Gretel

Hi Terri! Sorry I missed this. It’s very pretty and I like your color choices! I think if you wanted to add some lightness to the pink parts of the tree, you could try to lift the paint in places. I don’t know what kind of white you used (acrylic, gouache, etc), but this might work. “Paint” an area you want to lighten with a small amount water–I’d imagine you’d just do small, irregular shapes here and there. This should activate the paint. Then absorb the water and the pigment it loosens with a dry bit of paper towel or soak it up with a dry brush. That should create some highlights. If you’re nervous about it, try to recreate that pink on a piece of scrap watercolor paper, let it dry, and try to lift some pigment. :)

Hi Gretel,

I’ve never used a hair dryer, but I know plenty of painters who do. (I don’t have one because if I use it on my hair it’s Frizz City.)

I try to keep my palette down to about 15 colors that I use regularly and mix what I need. That’s how I was taught, anyway. My desk is on the smallish side, and I don’t like to use a big palette. But as with the previous question, I know plenty of painters who have dozens of colors in their collections. Everyone is different, so you do you!

How do you post a file to the gallery? I’ve looked all over the site and don’t find a spot.

I’m not 100% sure about this, but I think any image you post in the forums here goes into the gallery.

Here are my 2 attempts. I’m pretty happy with the trees except that my white blossoms are too big…especially on the distant trees. I’m going to try again using a toothpick or something for thpse small blossoms. I put these on some postcard stock I already had so I couls send Easter greetings to my grandkids.

Attachments:

What a nice idea, and I’m sure they will love receiving a postcard from you! Yeah, as I said in the video, anything you can do to make the blossoms have a variety of shapes/sizes and look kind of random will make them appear more natural. :)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.