Workshop 1 – 2018

WEEK 2 QUESTIONS!

This topic contains 30 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  RiverSong 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

I must have Cerulean on the brain. I watched that vid a number of times and that’s all I heard. You clearly call out Cyan and instruction as well.
    Tired brain of mine. Glad to know that brands may differ as well. Thank-you Kelly!

RiverSong

Wow I really find that watercolour is a bit intimidating although I think the gumball is far easier that the tree was, my poor tree :( LOL, This is what I have so far today. I used my masking pen since adding water to thin my fluid turned it into a solid lump. How does this look? am I going in the right direction? should my shadows be much darker than this? Thanks

Attachments:

Kimberly

Hi Kelly, I had a question about re-visiting a part that’s already dry. For example, at 9:00 and 13;42 in the gumball video you were able to go back and add more color onto the dry gumball. I wanted to know how you’re doing that without creating a waterline and without re-wetting the whole gumball.

I’m really enjoying your workshops! Thanks!

Hey Kimberly,

In those cases, I was using a dry-ish brush with just a small amount of water to intensify colors that were already on there. So waterlines weren’t going to be a huge issue. And sometimes when I’m painting glass, I like to have some definite edges. If I wanted to get rid of an edge, though, I’d take a damp brush or a paper towel and sort of smudge over the problem area. Usually those hard lines will soften, depending on the color (some pigments are dyes and are difficult to romove) and the amount of time it’s had to dry (try to lift colors as soon as you notice them; older edges are harder to smudge).

I think it looks great so far, RiverSong! :D It can be difficult to know if your shadows are dark enough. I’d advise you to paint the highlights and then see what you think. You can always go darker!

RiverSong

Kelly I did add more colours and filled in the Highlights, it seemed the more I tried to make the darks darker the lighter they went. the colour was lifting off the paper. I think I need tape other than my green tape. you can see on the white edges that I tore the paper. it is a watercolour block so perhaps I could have skipped the tape. I think I will leave it like this in case I mess it up and move on to your week 3. thank you.

Attachments:

I think it came out surprisingly well, knowing you were struggling with the paint. It could be the quality of the paint itself, or maybe you needed to let it dry more in between coats. I’ve seen that happen both ways. Way to hang in there with it!

And yes, if you’re painting on a block, no need for tape, unless you want that white edge to happen. That blue tape I’m using works well with most higher-end Strathmore products I’ve tried, but the more student-grade papers can tear sometimes if you’ve really pressed down on it. Trial and error!

Lisa vB

Kelly,

Your comment about lifting color prompts another question: how important is it to have scrubber brushes? Does a damp normal brush typically do the job, or are scrubbers a good thing to have, too?

Thanks,

Lisa

RiverSong

I am using green painters tape right now that I had for canvas painting, I will need to see if I can find the blue tape. I did not have Strathmore watercolour paper so I used a fluid block. I have Strathmore multimedia paper– would it work for the watercolour paper? I am using winsor newton cotman paints and Koi paints. I will have to keep trying with the watercolours and get past feeling intimidated by it, it sure has a mind of its own. thank you.

Lisa, I’ve never used them, but your mileage may vary!

This is the tape I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Release-Painters-Single-240195/dp/B000BQRP9W

The multimedia paper seems like it would work. I’ve had another student ask me about it, and the people at Strathmore thought it would be about the same. You might want to practice on a scrap piece–flood it with water and paint and see how it behaves before you devote a lot of time to a project.

The Cotman watercolors are good (and affordable) but when I’ve used them it seems like their colors are not deep/intense enough for my taste. But LOTS of beginners love them, and the subjects I paint are kind of over the top colorful. I use paints that can cost $20+/tube, and for me it’s worth the investment because this is what I do for a living. My brand is Old Holland. Their paint is concentrated and intense, and the big tubes last for YEARS. I have a cadmium yellow medium I bought in 2002 and I still haven’t reached the end of it! But at the time, yeah, shelling out for a dozen colors was shocking. I love them so much, though. <3
    http://www.oldholland.com/en/products/classic-watercolours/classic-water-colours-colour-chart/

RiverSong

My yellow is a graham and my pink opera was Holbine, I had used Verditer blue by them because I did not have cyan. Perhaps this is why I have liked mixing my Derwent inktense into my paint in the past when I have done pen and ink or used watercolour for the base of my pencil crayons.
    I took a class and she told everyone to buy cotman and then at the end of the class told us to then go buy artist quality. It would have been nice to have been told the difference at the beginning because after spending all that money and having full tubes I did not want to go and then buy more. I will have to see if Currys carries the old Holland colours. I have never heard of them before. I find my field tray of Koi are much more intense than the cotman.
    I also found just a plain brush lifted the paint. I think scrubbers might damage the paper. I was using solvent with my pencil crayon and used a oil colour brush – well I put a hole right through my paper.

I buy my Old Holland paints here:
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/old-holland-classic-watercolors
    These are smallish tubes but they do last a long time. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I buy most of my stuff online. I do know they can be hard to find in regular art supply stores, though.

I used student grade paints (Grumbacher) for most of my twenties. Student grade paints can work, and what you might try to do is cherry pick a few pro-grade watercolors and use them along with the Cotman paints you like. Replace the student colors you think need help.

Prabha

Hi Kelly. I tried out the gum balls, but could not match the exact hues. Also, I thought of the problem of drawing with black pencil, so instead I used water colour pencils for the different gum balls. While painting, these will merge with the image. I think this may be useful tip for others as well. Thanks for the lesson.
    Prabha

Attachments:

RiverSong

I decided to try using my White watercolour with my Travel Koi, it seems to work for my whites or should they be whiter? I used my masking pen to draw in lines for areas to work in so I could use the whole paper and also not hog up the space and be left with none. I also used it to separate out some areas to keep light because my paper seemed so dark with my underpaintings. This was fun but hard. did I go too much with the light areas or dark areas and why did the white watercolour work? I did not use acrylic. I might not have time this week to start and finish the last one. It is going to be a busy week.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.