Workshop 1 – 2020

Lesson 4 Questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for participating in video lesson 4

Please post all questions related to this particular video lesson within this discussion group so I don’t miss anything.

Hope you enjoyed learning with me!

Justin

web: http://www.justinmaas.com
    IG: http://www.instagram.com/maas.art/
    More Tutorials: http://www.patreon.com/maasart

Victoria

Hi Justin,

So if you have wax based colored pencils vs the polychroma oil based ones.. what are the key considerations?

Thanks!
    Victoria

Justin

Victoria,
    There are many similarities between the two – the obvious difference is the binder (Oil vs wax) but they do lay down pigments differently.

Oil based pencils tend to have a harder core – meaning they dont break as easily (under pressure or while sharpening) and they often will last longer than wax based – they also tend to keep a sharper point longer. However, the big advantage wax based pencils like Prismacolours have is that they lay down their pigment load much faster and richer.

In order to get rich, deep colours with oil based you have to layer a lot, or apply more pressure. It takes some getting used to if you’re used to one or the other.

I personally dont think either kind is a clear winner (I actually prefer pastel pencils if we’re talking a pigment-based pencil encased in wood!) but both have pros and cons.

The big downside to the wax based pencils is wax “bloom” which is essentially oxidation of the wax binder. The oil-based pencils tend to erase a lot better than wax too – so if you need to rework an area, you can often get them off the page quite a bit better than wax based.

Victoria

Justin,

Thanks for your detailed answer! I was able to source a small set of oil based pencils locally and after reading your answer, I’m really glad I went with those. I’ve used pastel sticks in the past, so the idea of pastel pencils sounds great too! I was always disappointed with how much pastel loss there was over the years, even behind glass. Maybe it was the kind I was using back then though.

Do you advise spray fix over the oil pencil drawings too?

Your class/videos are super by the way… I can tell you’d be a great in person teacher. Thanks for everything!

Victoria

Magdalena B

Thank you for always telling us how much time a given drawing has taken you. I felt I was working really slow, but knowing that an expert artist like you may need seven hours to polish your artwork to perfection is really helpful and takes a load off my mind.

Justin

My pleasure Victoria.

In answer to your question: im not a huge fan of fixative. Thats not to say i dont use it but when I do, i do so sparingly and almost always as an ‘in between’ layer – like it i need to get more working surface on a drawing. I almost never spray the finished drawing. This is because with pastels fixative can really alter the colours and saturation of the finished piece. So while its fine to use it early on, most pastel artists do not use fixative in the last 20-30% of the drawing.

With a coloured pencil (oil or wax based) you should have far less concerns if you do use fixative (colours shouldn’t fade/change much at all) so you could certainly experiment & see if it gives the finish you like/want.

As for pastel loss – ive never found that to be a problem but part of may be the paper you were using? I use sanded paper almost exclusively and that seems to retain the pastel very well. One thing to remember is to never frame with acrylic glass or plexiglass long-term unless you understand how to remove static from it. Any kind of plastic glass will produce a static charge that will actually remove pastel particles over time. Its great for shipping but not for long term framing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.