Workshop 1 – 2020

Tortillon vs Stump

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #10397
    Mary P

    There is a difference between tortillons and stumps. From Wikipedia “A tortillon is a cylindrical drawing tool, tapered at the end and usually made of rolled paper, used by artists to smudge or blend marks made with charcoal, Conté crayon, pencil or other drawing utensils. A blending stump is similar to a tortillon but is longer, more tightly wrapped, and pointed at both ends.” I much prefer stumps – you can sharpen them with sandpaper, or even cut them to a point. I get mine at Jerry’s Artarama in bulk for the best prices (I have no affiliation with Jerry’s).


    This would be true except that there are no industry standards on stumps vs tortillions. Technically they mean different things but manufacturers all over the world have blurred these lines so most artists use the terms interchangeably now.

    Its a bit like 4 wheel drive vs All wheel drive. Technically they mean something different but car manufacturers have been blurring those lines for years so even cars that say they are 4wd are more of a hybrid AWD.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.