Workshop 2 – 2018

Solvents?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa vB 2 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lisa vB

Hi,

I am super excited to join this workshop. I learned a lot from Kelly Eddington’s workshop in March (watercolors)–really took my skills up a notch. Hoping for the same for my colored pencil skills in this workshop!

One thing I’m really looking forward to learning is how to smooth the pencil colors out. Makes me nuts to see bits of white paper through them. I thought I noticed we would be using solvents, and I’m anxious to get into that (I use blender pencils currently). But I don’t see any solvent-type things on the supply list. What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your question! We’ll be focusing on combining mixed media with colored pencil, specifically fluid acrylics, watercolor, and ink pen. The techniques for combining fluid acrylic and watercolor with colored pencil both help to create a smoother look to the colored pencil because those wet media fill in all the little white specks of the paper that you mentioned. I like using these techniques because it creates a more uniform, saturated look to the colored pencil, but it doesn’t completely wipe out the textural effect of the colored pencil.

We won’t specifically be focusing on solvent blending in this workshop, but solvents can definitely be useful and a lot of artists love using them in their colored pencil work. I do have a short video on Strathmore’s youtube channel that focuses on blending colored pencil with solvent. That video is at the link below:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
    Sarah Becktel

Lisa vB

Thank you, Sarah. The video is very helpful. I have that “marker” but might want to forge ahead with the liquid solvent for larger pieces. Looking forward to seeing how you mix watercolor and acrylics with colored pencil. I sometimes do primarily watercolor paintings, then use colored pencil for the finer details. I love the control I have with colored pencil, but often am searching for a smoother, painterly effect as a final result. Glad I signed up for your class!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.