Workshop 2 – 2018

Wax based or Oil Colored Pencils?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sarah Becktel 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gwen S.

I am addicted to my PrismaPremier waxed based pencils, but for Christmas I got the new Sch-Farben oil based pencils and was pleasantly surprised.
    Do you have a preference??

Cheryl

Hi Gwen,
    I have the PrismaColor. I also received a small set of oil based color pencils for Christmas and they sure are smooth! I haven’t used either enough to actually have a preference, so hopefully after this class, I will!

Laurie

Oh no! Another art supply to try! I do love my Prisma pencils, too…

Sandra Lane

I love using a mixture of both I cannot get hold of Prismas but do have Polychromos and Luminance both presents. I am trying to see if I can get hold of Prismas to try them out through amazon.com but they still have to reply to me on that one.

Hi everyone!

I’m so sorry I didn’t respond to this chain earlier- I didn’t realize the forum for the workshop was already open!

Both wax-based and oil-based colored pencils can be used in the workshop and will work with the techniques I’ll be sharing. I use a few different brands of colored pencils throughout the workshop- Prismacolor Premier, Faber Castell Polychromos, Caran d’Ache Luminance, and Derwent Drawing. Those are just my personal preference, but there are lots of great colored pencil brands available. I believe all of those are considered wax-based except the Polychromos (which is categorized as oil-based.)

I haven’t tried the Schpirrer Farben pencils, but I’ll be in the forum throughout the workshop and will do my best to answer any questions about specific brands of pencils if they pop up!

Best,
    Sarah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.