Workshop 3 – 2018

Media to use?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Burridge 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lisa vB

Hi,

I’m looking forward to this workshop–I was in the two prior Strathmore workshops this year and learned A LOT. I had assumed this one would be media-agnostic, since it’s more about composition and lighting, etc.–things that apply to all art. But the supply list is all oils. I don’t have oils, and am not looking to get into oils. I work in watercolor and colored pencil mostly, although I did get a basic set of acrylics for the last workshop. Does media matter for this class, or should I plan to work the assignments in acrylic, as it’s the closest thing to oil in terms of texture, etc. that I have?

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
    Robert will be focusing on oil paint as the primary medium for this workshop. However, he will be teaching many fundamentals of art and painting such as color combination, composition, focal points, negative shape painting, studio setup, and more. Of course oils and acrylics behave differently, but many of these same principles can be applied to both. If you don’t purchase oil paints for the class, we’d recommend sticking with acrylics versus colored pencil or watercolor and we think you’ll still really enjoy it and get lots from it!

Lisa vB

Thank you, Sara! I’ll go with the acrylics then. I’m looking forward to this class! As I mentioned, I’ve attended the other two Strathmore Workshops this year and very much enjoyed them. Thank you for putting them on!

Hi Lisa,
    I wanted to check in with you to see how the lessons are going for you with your acrylics. I work in all media – and you can definitely work the basics with your watercolors and acrylics.

Thanks for writing!
    Bob

Lisa vB

Hi Bob,

Thanks for checking in. I’m a little unclear as to the assignments. Are we supposed to just try the techniques on whatever subjects we want to try them out on? Or try to emulate what you’re doing, so as to have apples to apples (or pears to pears, as the case may be!). So I hadn’t actually pulled out the acrylics and tried yet.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for your questions – I loaded the video with a lot of demos – and yes, try my techniques following my demo sample. THEN try the techniques on your own work. Incorporate the techniques and tips that speak to you!

You should have no trouble working with acrylics and following the demos. If you do, please message me again!

The most important thing to remember is have fun! Approach your painting with a light-hearted manner.

Keep it loose!
    Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.